Providing private surgical hospital services to the people of South Canterbury since 1912
Bidwill’s story began with local nurses recognising a need and establishing private hospitals where patients could receive skilled, attentive care. It grew through the foresight of doctors, businesspeople and community leaders who worked together to develop a modern hospital for South Canterbury.
Today, Bidwill Trust Hospital is a charitable trust providing quality elective surgical care. Rather than being distributed to private shareholders, its profits are reinvested in hospital facilities, equipment and services. A separate registered entity, the Bidwill Trust Hospital Foundation, supports hospital development and other charitable health purposes under the control of Bidwill Trust Hospital.
This continuing investment has been made possible by generations of nurses, doctors, specialists, staff, investors, trustees and community leaders. Through their foresight, governance, hard work and care, they have enabled the hospital to respond to South Canterbury’s changing health needs while maintaining a shared commitment to patients.
Recognised as the oldest continuously operating private hospital in the South Island, Bidwill’s history can be understood through three key phases:
1912: Early private care
Sister Susan McArthur and Sister Shanks established private hospital services in Timaru, providing skilled nursing, privacy and round the clock care.
1935 to 1936: Timaru Private Hospital Company Limited
As demand grew, local doctors and businesspeople formed the Timaru Private Hospital Company Limited and opened a larger, purpose built hospital to replace the earlier hospitals operated by Sisters McArthur and Shanks, with improved facilities for patients and staff.
1977: Bidwill Trust Hospital
By the 1970s, expanded specialist services at the public hospital had reduced demand for private inpatient care. Shareholder returns fell, long serving leaders retired and the private company model came under pressure. In 1977, the hospital became a charitable trust, shifting its focus from shareholder returns to protecting its future service to the South Canterbury community.
Each phase built on the vision and service of those who came before. Today’s team cares for that legacy, and builds on from its past, helping ensure Bidwill remains here for future generations.

Created for patients, visitors and the Bidwill team, the display brings together photographs, documents, objects and stories from throughout the hospital’s history. It helps people connect with those whose vision, investment, medical knowledge, nursing skill and service have enabled Bidwill to care for the community since 1912.
Bidwill is recognised as the oldest continuously operating private hospital in the South Island. Although its buildings, technology and services have changed considerably, people have always been at the heart of its story.

Acknowledgements
The history presented on this page draws on considerable research undertaken by Roselyn Fauth, a Timaru-based local historian and heritage researcher, and Lisa Mullings, a Bidwill Trust Hospital staff member.
In 2026, Bidwill Trust Hospital brought this research together to create a historical timeline for display within the hospital. It celebrates Bidwill’s long history, the people who have shaped it, and its enduring place in the South Canterbury community.
We acknowledge the many past and present staff, trustees, medical professionals, patients, families and supporters whose experiences and contributions form part of Bidwill’s story.

1912: The beginnings of private hospital care
Bidwill’s history can be traced to Sister Susan McArthur, who provided private nursing care on Lot 8 of Henry Street, later renamed Chester Street and then Bidwill Street.
On 13 July 1912, Sister McArthur opened her private hospital in a substantial two storeyed brick building designed and built by Lust and Moriarty. It included patient rooms and an operating theatre and became the foundation of private hospital care in South Canterbury.
Sister McArthur held a St Helen’s Certificate in First Aid. Her official nursing registration record, published in the New Zealand Gazette in 1903, listed her hospital training, success in the state examination, midwifery certification and nursing appointments in Timaru and Gisborne.
Described as a woman of some substance, she offered skilled nursing, privacy and attentive care.
Soon afterwards, Sister Shanks opened a small private hospital on the other side of the block on Elizabeth Street.
With nurses living on site, the two hospitals provided round the clock private care in South Canterbury for more than 20 years. For people who could afford the fees, which could equal several weeks or months of wages, this care offered reassurance, privacy and attentive support when it mattered most.
Part of Sister McArthur’s original hospital was later incorporated into the hospital building opened in 1936.
1935: Local leaders plan a modern private hospital

Historic photographs in the display show the hospital’s early X ray department, reception area and a typical private patient room. Later photographs show the hospital kitchen in 1978 and the operating theatre in 1979. A tapestry,Grace Before Meat, embroidered by M. Comrie and presented to the hospital in 1971. She worked for ten hours a day over several months to complete the piece on an imported canvas. It is described in the hospital’s information as one of only four known examples in the world.
By the 1930s, Timaru’s private nursing homes could no longer meet growing demand. Local doctors and businesspeople began planning and fundraising for a larger, modern private hospital.
Frederick M. Ward led the campaign, and the Timaru Private Hospital Company Limited was formed.
On 23 May 1935, the five provisional founders met as directors for the first time. They were Dr Leonard S. Talbot, Mr Bertrand L. Blodorn, Mr Frederick M. Ward, Dr Charles S. Fraser and Mr Norman M. Orbell.
The local leaders purchased Sister McArthur’s property and commissioned a new hospital design from Timaru architect Percy W. Rule.
Sister McArthur received £3,000 for her property, paid in cash and shares. Sister Shanks was compensated for closing her hospital.

The records preserved in the display include the first page of the 1936 minute book for the Syndicate of Medical Men. The syndicate consisted of joint shareholders and was established by Dr L. S. Talbot.
The display also includes a 1946 share receipt book for the Timaru Private Hospital Company Limited, a share certificate and a Certificate of Title identified as IXIX.182.
1935: The five provisional founders

Dr Leonard S. Talbot
Dr Leonard S. Talbot was a medical practitioner and the first chairman of the Timaru Private Hospital Company. He was a founding board member of the company in 1935 and later established his Timaru medical practice in 1939. He specialised in ear, nose and throat conditions for more than 50 years. Dr Talbot served with the 3rd General Hospital in the Middle East and Italy during the Second World War. He retired in 1959.
Mr Bertrand L. Blodorn
Bertrand L. Blodorn was a company manager and the second chairman of the hospital board, serving for more than 20 years. He was managing director of Herbert’s Ltd, the Stafford Street department store. Widely respected in the community, he was known for his leadership and civic involvement.
Mr Frederick M. Ward
Frederick M. Ward was a company manager who led the movement to establish a modern private hospital for Timaru. He was the business manager of the AMP Society on Stafford Street and was a well known South Canterbury identity. He died aged 46, six months after undergoing major surgery.
Dr Charles S. Fraser
Charles S. Fraser was born in Dunedin in 1895. He served in a medical unit during the First World War and later practised in Fairlie. He went on to complete postgraduate surgical study in Edinburgh. Dr Fraser served on the hospital board from 1935 until March 1946. He died aged 60.
Mr Norman M. Orbell
Norman M. Orbell was a company director and served on the hospital board from 1935 until his resignation in 1954.
He also held regional governance roles, including membership of the Canterbury Agricultural College, Lincoln, Board of Governors in 1928.
1936: Timaru Private Hospital opens
The first patients were admitted to Timaru Private Hospital on 2 November 1936.
Timaru Mayor Percy Vinnell officiated at the opening. Dr L. S. Talbot chaired the company, and Sister Helen Stevenson was appointed Matron in charge of 26 beds.
The new hospital provided improved facilities for patients and staff. Its operating theatre capacity was doubled, an X ray department was added, and improvements were made to lighting and heating.
Sixty seven patients were treated during the hospital’s first month. From 1937 to 1938, a total of 5,369 patients received care.
The aged care ward was located on the ground floor and continued operating until 1999. Level 1 housed the surgical ward, while Level 3 provided accommodation for staff.

1936 to 1971: Nursing leadership and community growth
By 1939, the hospital was debt free and had entered a long period of stability and growth. Patient numbers steadily increased as private hospital care became an established part of community life.
After seven years as Matron, and two years after her marriage, Helen Stevenson resigned. At the time, matrons were required to live at the hospital, and she wished to live in her own home.
Sister Pullar was appointed as her successor, followed by Miss Gertrude Andrews.
Later matrons included Mrs L. P. May, the fourth Matron of Bidwill Trust.
Room fees were set at between five and eight guineas a week. Surgical fees were 30 guineas for major operations and 21 guineas for minor procedures.
Between 1958 and 1961, the hospital operated at the height of its influence. Patient numbers peaked at approximately 8,200 a year, and the hospital building was expanded to increase its capacity to 28 beds.
1936 onwards: The Bidwill fraternity
Many medical and dental practitioners contributed to what became known as the Bidwill fraternity.
Before the Second World War, those associated with the hospital included L. S. Talbot, C. S. Fraser, W. C. Burns, W. H. Unwin, F. F. A. Ulrich, G. H. Ussher, W. E. Gibson and G. R. Kingston.
They were followed by R. D. King, W. R. Fea, T. Maling, J. L. McIver and D. H. Moir.
During and after the Second World War, the fraternity included K. J. Talbot, E. S. Thodey, C. D. Halstead, E. H. Densem, W. M. W. Brookfield, H. R. C. Benny, W. D. Meldrum, J. A. Raymond, A. W. Sutherland, V. B. Newman, B. G. Bird, T. R. Bracken, J. D. Garden, H. D. Prisk, B. Welford, J. G. Gilbert, G. N. Wilton, W. Raine, M. W. Mair and W. Greenslade, along with many more in later years.
Early surgeons and dental practitioners included J. Sawer, A. Marshall, I. Marshall and H. Don.
Matrons 1936 – 2022
Miss Helen Stevenson (1936-1944)
Miss Helen Pullar (1944-1955)
Miss Gurtrude Andrews (1955-1971)
Mrs L.P. May (1971-1982)
Mrs V.J. Wynn (1981-1982)
Mrs S.M. Annett (1982-1987)
Mrs Bernadette East (1987-2022) Position was Principal Nurse and became Director of Nursing.
1977: Bidwill Trust Hospital is formed

By the 1970s, specialist services at the public hospital had expanded and demand for private inpatient care had declined.
The private company model came under increasing pressure, shareholder returns fell, and long serving leaders began to retire. The company transitioned to a charitable trust.
On 5 July 1977, the new board was appointed. Its members were D. J. Hepburn, J. E. Thompson, R. Q. Carter, S. R. Bennett, Dr C. D. Halstead, Dr E. S. Thodey, C. C. Murray and D. Cosgrove.
Edward Sullivan was the solicitor, and Alan Hubbard was the secretary and accountant.
This transition established Bidwill Trust Hospital and placed the continuing care of the South Canterbury community at the centre of its purpose.
Board Chairs 1977 -2026
Dr Charles Halstead
Dr William Meldrum
Mr Charles Russell Hervey
Mr Edward Sullivan
Mr Kevin Cosgrove
Mr Mark Hervey
Mr Ken McKenzie
Mr Samuel Hervey

1983 to 1999: The Halstead Wing opens and the hospital further expands
The Halstead Wing opened in 1983, adding six beds.
It was named after Dr Charles Halstead, the first chairman of Bidwill Trust Hospital.
A further building extension was completed in 1985.
In 1999, the hospital ceased its licensed care of the elderly service, which had provided long term medical care for older patients.
Demolition occurred after the new building was completed.
Bidwill Trust Hospital was the only private hospital between Christchurch and Dunedin.
2001: A new Bidwill Trust Hospital opens
A completely new Bidwill Trust Hospital opened on Elizabeth Street on 30 March 2001.
Trust chairman Kevin Cosgrove officially opened the new hospital.
The building provided 15 inpatient rooms with ensuites, a four bed day stay ward, a four bed recovery suite and two operating theatres.
The hospital was supported by a team of 51 people working across nursing, anaesthetics, sterilising, administration and domestic services.
Bidwill provided its own meal service, while laundry services were contracted out.
Houses were purchased and cleared to make way for the new building. Once the new hospital had opened on Elizabeth Street, the old hospital on Bidwill Street was demolished.
Recording the Bidwill story. Doug Drake, author of Bidwill Story, is recognised in the heritage display, with a leather bound copy on display. His history of the hospital was originally published in 2001 and updated in 2012 and helped record the people and developments that shaped Bidwill’s first century of service.
2010 – ISO 9001 Certification for Quality Management Systems
The implementation of ISO9001 and the associated quality systems was driven by Principal Nurse Mrs Bernadette East. The certification was first received in November 2010.
Quality Management Systems (QMS) are essential for ensuring the delivery of consistent, high-quality patient care while enhancing safety and operational efficiency. The QMS is a formalized, organization-wide framework that documents and governs all activities affecting the quality of patient care and clinical services. It includes written policies, documented procedures, defined role responsibilities, measurable quality objectives, and continuous review cycles.
2011: Day Stay and theatre expansion
The Day Stay Unit was expanded to 14 beds in 2011.
A third operating theatre, also opened that year. The kitchen and staff areas were also expanded.
2018: The Kerr Wing opens
The Kerr Wing consulting suites opened on York Street in 2018. These house Aorangi Surgical Group and South Canterbury Surgeons.
The wing was named in recognition of the Kerr family, including E. G. Kerr, a director of the Timaru Private Hospital Company, and R. H. Kerr, Chairman of the South Canterbury Hospital Board.
The Kerr family owned the Timaru Herald for three generations.
Peggy Kerr, née Unwin, was the daughter of Bidwill Hospital surgeon Dr W. H. Unwin. She established a charitable trust supporting health, education, journalism and community initiatives.
2022: Pacific Radiology opens
Pacific Radiology opened at Bidwill in 2022, adding on site radiology and further expanding the services available to patients. Facilities include MRI, CT, x-ray, ultrasound and mammography services. This expansion in the hospital footprint also included an increased area for the sterile services unit.
Bidwill Hospital today
The hospital continues to evolve while recognising the vision and service of everyone who has contributed to its development since 1912.
Its history is not only the story of buildings, operating theatres or medical equipment. It is the story of people.
Everyone who has worked at Bidwill, practised there as a medical specialist, invested in the early hospital company, served as a trustee or board member, or supported its development has played a part in its history.
The current Bidwill team now carries that legacy forward. Its role is to care for the community, provide excellent patient care and help ensure the hospital continues serving future generations.
With gratitude to all who have shaped and supported its vision since 1912, Bidwill Trust Hospital continues to evolve and provide private health care for the people of South Canterbury.
1912 to 2022: Hospital development
1912 Sister McArthur’s hospital provided care on Lot 8 Henry Street, later renamed Chester Street and then Bidwill Street.
1936 The purpose built Timaru Private Hospital opened.
1958 to 1961 The hospital building was expanded to increase bed capacity.
1983 The Halstead Wing was added.
1985 A further building extension was completed.
2001 The new Bidwill Trust Hospital opened on Elizabeth Street.
2011 The Day Stay Unit was expanded and an additional operating theatre opened.
2018 The Kerr Wing consulting suites opened.
2022 Pacific Radiology opened on site.

